Image Map

Exfoliating: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel

31 August 2013


I wanted to review this BHA exfoliator after my post on my 3 favourite manual exfoliators which you can read here. I wanted to show you that there is an alternative to manual exfoliation, and the BHA exfoliator from Paula's Choice is it.

Paula's choice actually do a AHA and a BHA exfoliator. Basically the AHA reveals new younger skin, repairs sun damage and builds collagen, whilst the BHA unclogs and refines pores, reduces breakouts and builds collagen.

I chose the BHA as I suffer from breakouts, blackheads and enlarged pores, but the AHA would be more suitable for more mature skin types. BHA is the scientific name for Salicylic acid (that name we know so well) that is in nearly every skin products aimed at fighting blemishes.

This 2% salicylic acid gel has added anti-irritants and anti-oxidants to soothe the skin and to prevent irritation from the BHA. The BHA comes in 1% and 2% versions and also comes in a lotion (for normal/ dry/ combination skin), a gel (for combination/ oily skin) and a liquid (for oily skin), so there really is something for everyone. 

I used to use this product regularly, but recently I have limited it to a few times a week as I found that using it everyday would make my skin very dry and that could sometimes exacerbate the production of blemishes as the skin was over-compensating and producing more and more oil. This is why the bottle that I have (which is nearly empty) has taken me so long to use, hence why I have the old packaging. This is the new version on the Paula's Choice website, it's £23.00 for 100ml which may seem a bit pricey, but depending on how often you use it, it will last for ages. I add this into my skincare routine, before my moisturiser in an evening and I always wake up the next morning with a more even skin tone, and the redness in my blemishes has greatly been reduced. It never fails to do this.

I will certainly be buying another bottle of this when I run out. It definitely is a great chemical exfoliant that can easily be added into your existing skincare routine. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts